Facing flood repairs? Contact an expert, says trade body

Property and home owners in Cornwall should avoid “quick-fix solutions” and seek professional advice following the recent floods – according to the trade body representing the flood damage repair industry.

The Property Care Association (PCA) suggests householders affected by water damage should get expert help on how to care for their homes.

The Association, which has a dedicated Flood Restoration Group, has recently won an industry award for its role in improving the standard of recovery work carried out after flooding. The group was set up following a series of problematic repairs to flood-damaged buildings in the city of Hull after 2007.

Steve Hodgson, deputy executive of the PCA, said: “We would urge people in Cornwall affected by the recent floods to be aware of contractors offering a quick-fix solution.

“In areas such as Hull, we have seen some householders suffer because contractors with little or no understanding of the effects of water in buildings have carried out remedial work.

“Homes have been repaired and then around six months later householders are dealt a double blow because the property is blighted by damp and they have to leave their home again for more repairs to be carried out.

“PCA members can offer professional advice on drying-out buildings and what work needs to be done afterwards. They can also measure and monitor damp levels and prevent damp, dry rot and other problems taking their toll on a structure months, or even years, later.”

The PCA is a member of TrustMark, the scheme supported by government to help property owners find reliable and trustworthy tradespeople to make home improvements. Learn more on this topic by visiting its website or by calling 0844 375 4301.